General Information


Sickness Certificates

You do not require a doctor’s certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may, however, require you to complete a self-certification form. These can be obtained from your employer or from surgery. For any illness lasting longer than seven days you will need to see the doctor for a sickness certificate.

Non NHS Services

Patients should be aware that fees might be charged for services not covered by the NHS Contract. These include private certificates, reports supporting private health insurance claims and other non-NHS medical reports. Medical reports and examinations for insurance companies are usually paid for by the insurance company concerned. Fees may be charged for other special purposes such as, for example, HGV and PSV licences, elderly drivers, fitness to drive, fitness to travel, fitness to undertake certain sports and pre-employment medicals. The fee scale is recommended by the BMA and details are available from the receptionists.

Access for the Disabled

Both surgeries provide access for the disabled and will provide facilities, such as a portable “Loop System” available for patients who have hearing difficulties.

Medical Students

The practice is a teaching practice. Very frequently you may be asked to allow a student to interview you. You have the right to refuse, but we hope you will help the next generation of doctors by your compliance

When a Bereavement Occurs

If a death occurs at home the doctor will advise you when the medical certificate of the cause of death will be available. If the death is sudden the doctor may not be able to give the certificate and may be required to refer the matter to the Coroner.

After a death in hospital, a member of hospital staff will explain to you when to collect the certificate and when the undertakers should arrive.

Telephone your Funeral Director and give him your instructions. Later you can discuss the funeral arrangements with him.

Go to the register for births and deaths during office hours, taking with you:

  • The medical certificate for cause of death
  • NHS Card
  • Pension book (if applicable)
  • Birth Certificate (if possible)

You will be asked the full name (and maiden name) of the deceased, his/her place and date of birth, occupation and the occupation of the widow or widower, address and the name and date of birth of the widow or widower.

Health and Social CareThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website